Friday, January 20, 2012

CSA box take...3?

I am a sucker for coupons.  I'm actually fairly sure I am on the verge of having an actual diagnosed problem.  These dern groupon-y things (coupons sent to you via email every day...yes EVERY DAY) really get me.  And lo and behold, there was recently one to start receiving a CSA box (either weekly or bi-weekly) from Johnson's Backyard Garden.  I have been a customer of theirs before, and while the produce is certainly lovely, you don't have the ability to add on any additional produce items (poultry, cheeses, etc.).  And then I remembered...you can with Farmhouse Delivery.  I couldn't refuse.  

So, I signed up to receive a bi-weekly CSA box from Farmhouse Delivery.  In truth, the concept of getting a bushel after bushel full of winter veggies I don't typically enjoy didn't excite me.  However, the ability to add a chicken onto my bi-weekly order was too appealing to pass up.  And, with my recent discovery of kale and how much I like it, I thought that I was bound to like other veggies that had before been on my "no fly" list. 

This first week contained the following:
  • a SIX POUND roaster (I'll just roast it like I do chicken every time. Always turns out good)
  • cauliflower (on the no fly list)
  • beets (on the no fly list)
  • chard (I figure it's pretty similar to kale, so it's probably ok)
  • spinach
  • two of the world's smallest avocados
  • cilantro (on the no fly list, but I do like it in pho, so I might have to try to make some of that)
  • lettuce
  • a large grapefruit
  • a cabbage (on the cusp of the no fly...but I like it in soup, so that's where it's probably destined to land)
I think that's it.  Stay tuned to see what I do with all this.  

No comments: