Wednesday, August 06, 2008

I'm stuffed!

I went to the nutritionist yesterday. This is part of an overall effort not only to slim down, but also to understand more about the fuel my body consumes in and burns.


Based on the results of my RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) tests, I should be taking in 1950 calories. Or rather, the balance at the end of the day should be 1950 calories. So that means that if I burn, say, 450 calories doing yard work, then I'm supposed to be taking in 2400 calories. HOW ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH IS A HUMAN SUPPOSED TO TAKE IN THAT MANY CALORIES??

Now, of course, this doesn't mean 2400 calories of crap (sadly, no cheese enchiladas with cheese sauce), but rather increased fiber, fewer simple carbohydrates, and so on. I would have never thought it was so hard to add calories!! One interesting (and now that I know it, seemingly obvious tip) was that my snacks shouldn't be just almonds, or just fruit, but a little of both. Apparently it's the combination of protein and carbs that makes the snacks more effective.

The online tracking service I use (www.calorieking.com) sets guidelines for how many grams of fat, protein, carbs, and fiber one should take in based on your calorie target. I have yet to figure out how someone is supposed to get up to that kind of a calorie count without going over at least one of those targets. Plus, get this. I played squash Thursday after work and, according to my heart rate monitor, I burned 1170 calories. So how am I supposed to end up with a balance of 1950 net calories after that? I'm supposed to magically eat 3120 calories without going over those fat, carb, protein, and fiber guidelines??

I'm definitely looking forward to my next appointment with the nutritionist next week where she'll actually give me a meal plan and hopefully explain some of these guidelines and rules that are seemingly conflicting notions.

2 comments:

sarah (SHU) said...

i don't think i would have any problem taking in that many calories. . . and i probably usually in fact do. although admittedly i have never taken the time to add up what i take in (too much work, plus it seems like a dangerous habit to get in). but the # doesn't sound unreasonable. running makes me so freaking hungry! i have never lost weight marathon training.

Sara said...

i suppose chocolate croissants dont count? ;)
there is a cool book called super natural cooking by heidi swanson that has some healthful albeit veggie recipes...