Saturday, August 02, 2008

Mission Grillpossible!

I've done it!

I just thought I'd let all of you know that I have finally managed to cook a steak to medium rare on my grill pan! Hazah!

Type of steak: bone-in rib eye
Thickness: about an inch thick, maybe a little thinner
Size: large enough to make two portions...both for me - one of the times living alone is a great thing!
Seasoning: just salt and pepper...nothing fancy
Heat: just slightly under my #5 setting on my gas range (6 being the highest)
Cooking Time: 4 minutes on the first side (turning 90 degrees 2 minutes in to get those great grill marks) and 2.5 minutes on the second side (I did attempt to get the grill marks on the other side, but was not successful.
Resting Time: 6 minutes

It was juicy, flavorful, and full-on perfectly medium rare. The crust on the outside due to the high heat was the perfect complement to the tender pink silky center. I tried to mix a little balsamic vinegar and some margarine with the juices left in the grill pan to make a sauce, but something about the olive oil based margarine I have in my house just didn't taste right (not to mention it's not like there was fond, I mean, it's a non-stick surface, but there were just juices, so it was a valiant attempt).

All in all, I really want to eat both servings. Thankfully, I had the foresight to cut it in half and put the other half in a ziploc and in the fridge for a future meal.

Tonight, I will make my basil and goat cheese turkey roulade, and tomorrow I'll be baking blueberry bran muffins. The former I've made before, the later...never. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

sarah (SHU) said...

hey, you have a blog! and it's even food-related! i am excited to follow along as i have one too (well it's more of a hodgepodge medicine/life/running/food/whatever blog). i was excited as well to see steak success with a grill pan. i am sort of in love with the grill pan right now -- so much easier to set up than the actual grill and honestly in NC It's to hot to grill out most days anyway.

ps: this is ephlats-sarah in case that isn't obvious :)