Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Cooking on a Budget

Every week(?) I get an email from my local fancy H-E-B grocery store otherwise known as Central Market. Normally the deals they advertise don't really strike my fancy, but this time, something caught my eye. Buy a rotisserie chicken and get a baguette and a family-sized caesar salad for free. A total value of roughly $8. Well that's probably three meals for me there, so that's a great bargain. And I might even cook the carcass down to make some stock, so that's a bonus as well.

Then I was also shopping for my annual Irish feast - corned beef, cabbage, and champ (see my last post). The tab looked like this:

  • Thyme: $1 (with leftovers)
  • 4 bulk carrots: $0.85
  • Parsley: $1.49 (with leftovers)
  • 4 russet potatoes: $3.99 (with a potato leftover)
  • 3 bulk onions: $2.30 (with an onion leftover)
  • 1 head of cabbage: $1.43
  • 3lb hunk of corned beef: $11.71
  • bunch of scallions: $0.69

All of those ingredients made enough food for three of us at lunch today and probably two more portions for lunch tomorrow.

So for a tab roughly of $32, I got 8 servings (plus the potential for some homemade stock) for a total of $4 per serving.

Hot cha!

No comments: