Saturday, December 31, 2011

Caffeine Addiction

I like coffee.  But I don't typically drink coffee on a daily basis.  If I have a caffeinated beverage, it might be a Diet Coke or, if I'm going into work early, I'll treat myself to a latte.

But all of that changed when my boyfriend's mom and aunt got me a Keurig for Christmas.  It's the mini-version and you have to pour in the water one by one, but it is perfect.  And since I opened the box just a few days ago, I've had at least two cups of coffee each day.

While I hope things will settle down a bit once I'm back to work following the holidays, I do think in the short term this is going to save me some money.  Towards the end of this year, I was buying a latte pretty frequently.  This way, I can brew my own coffee before I leave for work, drink it on my way to work, and not feel the need to stop and buy something.

I'm finding that I'm drawn to the flavored varieties, which I don't know that I would have foreseen.  I suppose once I finish the K-cups that they gave to me with the brewer, I should settle down and get a box of normal every day coffee (lord only knows what those flavorings include).

My final concern is the environment.  I don't love the idea that these little pieces of plastic are filling up the landfills.  But I'm doing my best to offset it by opening up the top (after the coffee is made) and scooping out the used grounds to add to my compost.  (There will be a post in a bit about my little garden out back.)

So, all in all, I'm excited that I got this Keurig.  If I need to worry about caffeine withdrawals later on, so be it.

No comments: