Thursday, November 02, 2017

Creepy Eats

Now that I've rebooted this blog, I've been thinking a lot about how food is represented in our lives. Not in advertising (there will be another post on that), but how it's shown in our entertainment (movies and TV in particular).

Then, that got me thinking, what about horror movies? (It's just November 2nd, so cut me some slack.)

Disclaimer: I'm a complete wimp when it comes to horror. Randomly, I like a very small handful of horror movies (the original Carrie and Silence of the Lambs are both awesome), but pretty much outside of that, I'm not a fan. I've got a remarkably active sense of imagination, so just the smallest hint, and my brain takes that and runs. I've liked some scarier TV shows like Preacher and The Following, but there's always one scene that freaks my break out too far, and I have to stop watching. I saw Jaws one afternoon in the spring when I was a teenager, and I refused to swim in the lake at camp in Maine the following summer.

Yes, I realize that's illogical, but what can I say.

All that being said, my college friend actually has a horror blog called Overthinking Horror Films and she recently started a related podcast called Ambient Light. For her podcast, Angi asks people to submit questions about horror films and she responds to them on the podcast. She's got two episodes out there already, and my question about "what should I watch if I'm a wuss" is featured in Episode 1.

Another question also in Episode 1 struck me as particularly interesting, original, and creative. Basically, it asked about food in horror movies. A bit of background, Angi and I were Art History majors, so symbolism is kind of our bag, so this question was a fun one for Angi to consider. She had some really interesting thoughts about a couple films and the food that is used as representations of certain themes in those movies. Just think...lamb.

I won't spoil by telling you what she shares in the episode, because I really think you should go listen to it. Check out her posts at Overthinking Horror Films and then listen to her Ambient Light podcast by clicking on the link at the top of the page. If you have a question you'd like her to answer on a future podcast, you can submit through that link as well.

No comments: