Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Food Stories

Recently, I was alerted to a writing contest here in Austin. It's run by the Writers' League of Texas and it's their 2009 Manuscript Contest. The skinny is that you submit a one-page synopsis and the first 10 pages of your manuscript. There are a variety of subjects that are judged separately, and the prize is a meeting with an agent/editor.

I've decided I'm going to try to submit. I say "try to" because I honestly don't know if I can get the first 10 pages written and edited up to the standards I'd like by March 6th. Basically, I need to get the whole thing written by this weekend to allow my family and friends time to read it, give feedback, tweak it, etc. And, it only costs $50, but right now, that's a nice chunk of money. So, the plan is to work hard this week to write as much as possible, and if I make it in time, I'll pay the $50 and submit it.

What is the "it" you might ask....IT is my cookbook. It falls under their "Narrative Nonfiction" category, so Lord only knows what other types of books I'd be going up against. But the distinguishing feature of this cookbook is the funny, poignant, universal stories that go along with the recipes. Yes, the food is great, but the stories are even better (and are sometimes accompanied by hilarious photos).

Just as a teaser, some of the story titles are:

  • Conflagration Popovers
  • Mistake Meatballs
  • Brooklyn BBQ Sauce
  • Statler Salad

Understandably, for the contest, I'm not putting the recipes or the pictures in the manuscript. My contact at the WLT suggested that I might want to focus my 10-page real estate on the actual stories, b/c it's not like they're going to test the recipes anyway. I guess if I have a really funny way to describe an ingredient or something, I might leave that recipe in there, but that's still up in the air.

So....cross your fingers, send me good writing vibes and thoughts of efficiency. And if you'd like to be one of the people to help me edit the 10 pages, definitely let me know....I can use as many opinions as possible.

No comments: