Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I'm published! Ok...not really...

Today, Mark Bittman had a column in the NY Times about "non-traditional" breakfast foods. He made mention of Migas, but they were a completely different from the Migas I know in Austin. So I posted a reply. I realize that a blog comment on nytimes.com is not even remotely in the same sphere as actually being published in the Times, but hey, we all have to start somewhere, don't we? :-)

The article link: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/18/dining/18mini.html?_r=1&ref=dining

The blog link: http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/18/what-i-had-for-breakfast-this-morning/#comments

My comment:

I was confused by your definition of Migas. That’s not how we define them here in Texas. In Austin, “Migas” essentially means (and I’m oversimplifying) a western scramble with pieces of tortillas mixed in. They’re one of the best breakfast options around aside from maybe the breakfast burritos you get from the little holes in the wall where no one speaks English. (I realize they’re egg based and not really on point with the theme of your article, but all the same, they’re mighty tasty.)
In any event, I have since looked up the Migas you referenced and found they are typically prepared that way in Spain. Thank you very much for continuing to pique my interest in food through your blog entries, recipes, and articles. Keep it up.
— Liz Craft

No comments: